Home Educator’s Day at Jefferson’s Monticello
Home Educator’s Day at Jefferson’s Monticello is September 24, 2014! If you are a homeschooling family then you don’t want to miss this field trip opportunity. Admission is reasonable and you can buy tickets online here or at the door, pre-registration is not required. If you do buy tickets ahead of time you will be able to get a better pick of times for your tour of Monticello. Adults are $15, children 5-12 are only $6 and children 4 and under are free. Special activities are offered form 10AM-3PM but you can explore the grounds from 8:30A – to 6P.
Activities at Monticello Include:
- explore the Thomas Jefferson Visitor Center
- watch the film Thomas Jefferson’s World
- numerous hands-on activities in the Griffin Discovery Room
- special guided tour of Monticello
- visit Mulberry Row to learn about slave life
- indoor and outdoor activity stations including a historic chocolate presentation complete with chocolate tasting
- talk with costumed interpreters to learn about period crafts, cooking, and games
Before you go check out some of the resources avaiable to help you and your children learn more about Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello home.
- Exploring Monticello – A guide for young people, see Monticello through the eyes of Thomas Jefferson’s granddaughter Cornelia.
- Monticello Explorer– a virtual tour of the house
- Lewis and Clark Study Resources – maps, timelines, and activity ideas
- Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia – a trusted source for all things related to Thomas Jefferson
Additional Activities Near Monticello
- Saunders-Monticello Trail – a relaxing beautiful place to walk and enjoy nature
- Carter Mountain Apple Orchard – swing by this orchard which is only a few minutes away to pick some local apples. This is an excellent place to enjoy a picnic lunch or dinner.