Travel Ideas with Kids
If you’re looking to for a quick getaway with the kids and you want to have an easy time getting to and from while not emptying your bank account, then I have a few interesting destinations that will give you lots of bang for your bucks. Check out these Travel Ideas with Kids!
1) Cruises– Bon voyage! Taking to the high seas with your kids can be an unforgettable way to vacation. This is actually my favorite way to vacation! The value of cruising is great since lodging and meals are already wrapped up in the fare. PLUS your family can visit many destinations on a cruise without checking in and out of hotels and toting luggage from one place to the next. There is something for everyone whether it’s fine dining, luxurious spa options, pools with waterslides, quiet pools and hot tubs, rock-climbing walls, videogame competitions, and so much more. Many cruise lines including Disney, Royal Caribbean and Carnival, offer kids’ programs that cater to children anywhere from toddlers to teens. Cruises aren’t just fun but a great learning experience for the entire family. It’s one thing to learn about the world in a geography class, and another by having shore excursions that include snorkeling the crystal clear, blue water of the Caribbean, sea-kayaking, hiking, riding atv’s thru the jungle and more with your child in nature that is awe-inspiring! So if you are looking to take the family on a stress free vacation that has most of the costs upfront, then I encourage you to try it out!
2) Atlantis– Atlantis is a cross between Disney World, Sea World, and Las Vegas on the beach. Our initial experience was nothing short of overwhelming! There is a seemingly endless maze of hotels, beaches, pools, aquariums and waterslides all circling around the soaring trademark pink towers, connected by a bridge that forms the center of the resort. It’s very easy to find something for every age group and interest, from the waterpark, kiddie pools, to casual outdoor eateries to restaurants by some of the world’s best-known celebrity chefs (Nobu, Jean-Gorges and Bobby Flay among them). They also have adult-only casinos and nightclubs and one of the best kids’ programs anywhere in the world . The kids’ program is designed for young kids and a separate club for pre-teens and teens. They also have exceptional aquarium exhibits with a range of animals in their environment. They offer deals throughout the year ranging from free airfare to free nights.
3) Myrtle Beach – What can I say? Myrtle Beach is fantastic and has something for everyone in the family. We have visited Myrtle Beach every year (except for the years we lived overseas). There are amusement parks, water parks, outlet malls, an aquarium, great golf, and lots more. We generally do not have a problem finding a great deal on a room either. We always get a place on the beach so we can spend the evenings walking on the beach or listening to the surf from our balcony. There are also a great number of restaurants as well. One year, we happened to be there during biker week and ate at our favorite Italian restaurant, Villa Romano. The resident accordion player was playing his normal songs like “Lady of Spain” when one of the bikers asked him to play some rock. He immediately broke into “Smoke on the Water.” It was hilarious!! The kids loved it too even though they did not recognize the song!! That’s what I love about the whole town. They really do whatever it takes to make your visit worthwhile. Make sure to visit next time you need a quick getaway and make sure to check out my review of the new SkyWheel at Slick Housewives.
4) Great Wolf Lodge – The Great Wolf lodge will make you truly feel you are “away from it all.” When you enter the doors, you feel like you have entered a large, rustic backwoods cabin. After a your eyes adjust from being outside, you spot the front desk to check in with a breeze. When you reach your room, you see a comfortable, well furnished room with all you need for a few days of fun. Hurry and put your stuff away because there are a ton of activities to do. Throughout the lodge there are various things to do, but you and the kids will want to make a bee-line to the hidden gem of the Great Wolf Lodge…THE WATER PARK!! We spent the better part of our trip there only taking breaks for potty-time and snacks (we couldn’t get to kids to sit long enough for a full meal). At the end each day, we would go back to the room shower and head back out into the halls to perform the quest that they have taking you throughout the lodge to complete. All in all it was a great four day trip and worth every penny. With over 13 locations, more than likely there is a Great Wolf Lodge near you. Get in your car and go soon!!
Here is a list of places that currently have a Great Wolf Lodge:
- Charlotte/Concord, North Carolina
- Cincinnati/Mason, Ohio
- Grand Mound, Washington
- Grapevine, Texas
- Kansas City, Kansas
- Niagara Falls, Ontario
- Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania
- Sandusky, Ohio
- Traverse City, Michigan
- Williamsburg, Virginia
- Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin